Breakfast Recipes for Champions
July 13, 2017
Quinoa power porridge:
- 1 cup milk your choice of dairy, soy, coconut or almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 apples, chopped or grated with skin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground linseed (flaxseed) or LSA (linseed, sunflower seed, almonds)
- Rinse quinoa under cold running water.
- Combine with the water in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat – cover and cook for 10 minutes until soft.
- Add milk, apple, cinnamon, seeds and vanilla.
- Cook for 5 minutes until creamy – add more milk if needed for a creamier texture.
- Spoon into serving bowls and enjoy.
Easy homemade granola:
Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 20 min
- 2 cups raw, whole rolled oats (aka old fashion oats), preferably organic
- ½ cup raw nuts, chopped
- ¼ cup raw seeds (sunflower or pumpkin seeds are great)
- ½ cup unsweetened dried fruit, such as goji berries, cranberries or raisins (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil or other healthy cooking oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 150º C.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and use your clean hands to mix well and toss to coat; it will be sticky and messy but that’s the fun part. The coconut oil might be liquid or solid depending on the temperature of the room you are in. Your hands will warm it up and melt it into the mixture if it’s solid, just be sure to mix it all through the other ingredients so there aren’t any chunks of oil left.
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until very lightly toasted.
- Remove from oven and cool before serving or storing.
This granola can be kept in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
Chocolate strawberry chia seed pudding:
In a mixing bowl combine:
- 1 cup milk of choice
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoons of local honey or a few drops of steevia
- 1-2 tsp of 100 percent raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or fresh vanilla bean
Layer the chia seed mixture, with a layer of strawberries in a glass jar and continue until the jar is full.
Place it in the fridge, covered, overnight.
Mango Chia Breakfast Cereal
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ cup chopped mango (fresh or frozen)
- ⅓ cup canned coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- Optional: ½ teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- Puree mango and milks together in a blender. Pour into serving container and stir in chia seeds. Let sit 3 hours up to overnight in the refrigerator to set. Serve topped with more fresh fruit and coconut.
Toppings: plain or vanilla yogurt, coconut yogurt, shredded coconut, hemp hearts, chopped nuts, addition chopped or pureed mango
Easy Banana Oat & Cinnamon Pancake Recipe
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 2 TBSP milk of choice
- 1/2 ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp coconut oil for frying
- Optional toppings: sliced banana, fresh figs, fresh berries, maple syrup or honey, nut butter, walnuts or shredded coconut.
- Blend the oats in a blender until they resemble a flour-like consistency
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the coconut oil and blend until just combined
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-heat and melt the coconut oil.
- Add 2 tbsp of mixture to the pan at a time, cooking each side until golden.
- Once you’ve made your pancake stack, top with fresh fruit, drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy!
If you’re looking for delicious meals, made custom to your dietary requirements, order from Daily Dietitian.
- Food for Thought
- Vitamin D – A Natural Anti-Depressant?
- The big FAT debate
- VEGANISM – YAY or NAY?
- Breakfast Recipes for Champions
- Healthly lifestyle diet- a balanced diet for all of your nutritional needs
- Pro athlete diet - additional protein for athletes and avid gym-goers
- Low carb, high fat diet - reduced carb intake and higher healthy fats
- Just for mum - pre & post natal diet designed to support the needs of an expecting or new mum
- Child's play - convenient, no-fuss, healthy way to feed your child (for ages 6-12)