Low Carb Lamington Recipe
April 6, 2016
These delicious looking and enticing coconut dusted cakes are an Australian tradition but have steadily gained popularity in South Africa. Unfortunately, whether bought or made, they are high in processed sugar and flour without beneficial nutrients.
Daily Dietitian’s Lamington recipe uses xylitol for sweeteness and almond flour instead of refined white flour. The xylitol-sugar swop ensure stable blood sugar levels and the almonds add healthy fats and decrease carbohydrate content.
DD SUGAR-FREE, LOW-CARB LAMINGTONS
Serves: 24 squares
- ½ cup butter (or coconut oil), at room temperature
- 6 tbsp xylitol
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 ½ cups almond flour Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
Method for the Lamington Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream the butter and xylitol together in a bowl. Whisk the eggs into the mix. Add milk and vanilla slowly and whisk until you have a creamy texture.
- Next, place almond flour, baking powder and salt into a separate mixing bowl, and add the coconut. Add the wet ingredients gradually, mixing well.
- Pour this into a brownie pan. Bake for 18–20 mins. They are cooked when an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack and let cool, then cut into squares.
TYPICAL NUTRITION INFORMATION (per 1 serving)
Each serving is 1 square
- Energy (kJ): 594kJ
- Protein (g): 4g
- Total Carbohydrates (g): 5g— of which are sugars (g): 0g
- Total fat (g): 12g— of which is trans fat: 0g
- Total Sodium (mg): 54g
TYPICAL NUTRITION INFORMATION (per store-bought Lamington cake slice)
Each serving is 1 square
- Energy (kJ): 782kJ
- Protein (g): 2.3g
- Total Carbohydrates (g): 23.0g— of which are sugars (g): 17.6g
- Total fat (g): 9.1g— of which is trans fat: 0g
- Total Sodium (mg): 127g
(Information taken from www.woolworths.co.za (Lamington Cake Slices 5pk))
- Food for Thought
- Vitamin D – A Natural Anti-Depressant?
- The big FAT debate
- VEGANISM – YAY or NAY?
- Breakfast Recipes for Champions
- Healthly lifestyle diet- a balanced diet for all of your nutritional needs
- Pro athlete diet - additional protein for athletes and avid gym-goers
- Low carb, high fat diet - reduced carb intake and higher healthy fats
- Just for mum - pre & post natal diet designed to support the needs of an expecting or new mum
- Child's play - convenient, no-fuss, healthy way to feed your child (for ages 6-12)